As part of Periscope Market Evolution's ongoing monitor of peoples' digital lifestyles we have just completed a look into social networking. It's surfaced up some quite interesting data.
The highlights from the UK online survey are as follows:
- 34% of the sample currently use social networking sites which is lower than we expected
- that said 25% of these are new so its growing fast
- MySpace is the most popular site and but Facebook is the site growing fastest which is inline with the incredible hype its been getting.
- average duration of time spent on site is 28 minutes which is 'sticky'
- 15% visit every day which is 'sticky'
- average number of profiles per user is 2.4 which makes users alittle fickle
- looks like its an activity that is reserved for home with 96% logging on from home.
- only 1% access through their mobiles!
- most popular uses are just passing time, chatting with friends, looking at photos, and getting in touch with old friends so no real surprises there.